Rachael Barkess (www.rachaelbarkess.com) is professional artist with a primary focus on realism in oil and watercolour. She has applied this mode of inquiry in the areas of portraiture, landscapes, still life and contemporary botanical illustration. After a career in Graphic Design as a Creative Director and illustrator she now focuses full time on painting.
Whilst the majority of Rachael’s work is sold privately or by commission, she has enjoyed success in several high profile art awards, including:
- 2016 Shirley Hannan National Portrait Award – Finalist
- 2013 Portia Geach Memorial Award – Finalist
- 2013 Cossack Art Award – Winner, Botanical (Northwest Flora and Fauna)
- 2012 Cossack Art Award – Finalist, Landscape
- 2010 Black Swan Portraiture Prize – Finalist
- 2009 Black Swan Portraiture Prize – Finalist, Highly Commended
- 2007 Wanneroo Art Prize – People Choice Prize
Rachael established The Little Atelier, to teach art to encourage creativity and expression, as well as realist techniques to adults and older children.
Rachael is now resident in Singapore and The Little Atelier is running a range of different art programs for adults and children.